Saturday 12 November 2011

Musings upon Britishness, the state of homeliness and the nature of time

The last two days in a row have seen some of us watching Monty Python films- The Meaning of Life, and And Now For Something Completely Different- and the welcome blast of Englishness has prepared me for my parents visiting tomorrow. It's strange how much I miss British speech; although hardly common, the odd "by Jove" and "I say" really make me feel at home! But thinking of being at home, it really is remarkable how quickly KISC came to feel like home. The familiarity of the centre has already reached the stage where moving something around- such as cooking in the guest kitchens while we deep-clean the normal kitchen- just doesn't feel right, and the return to the normal kitchen today actually caused a palpable wave of relief to flow through me. It's a shame, then, that I am already in my last four weeks as a shortie here at KISC!


Somehow, somewhere, the time has gone. It's not that I've not done anything while I've been here; last week Johan and I went up the Niesenbahn (the steepest funicular railway I've ever been on, and certainly the longest!) and saw some of the best views I've yet seen of the Kander valley. I've also done lots of work, including splitting tree trunks as big as tractor tyres and building a floor. It really is like they told us when we started; the time just disappears! Which, it must be said, is better than it crawling by. Which, paradoxically, it is doing now. I am on duty, which means that I can't go to bed until at least 10:30 in case one of the four guests we have in the chalet right now needs something. At 10:30 I have to go on a walk round the centre, making sure that all the right doors are locked, lights are off, and that anybody who hasn't yet arrived knows where they have to go. It's ironic that I was thinking only a few days ago that it had been weeks since I was on duty, and that I actually missed being the one who gives their thought for the day in the morning, and now here I am wishing the time would go faster so I can go to bed! Incidentally, my thought this morning can be viewed here and is well worth a watch if you've not already seen it! And if you have, then why not watch it again?


I've just noticed the loose, disconnected prose that this blog is becoming. Usually I write something down in my journal before posting it here, so it has time to be thought out a bit more and maybe edited slightly before making it out where literally tens of people will read it. Right now, however, I am pretty much free writing. Just fingers to keyboard, and if the brain gets in the way first with a thought then so much the better. I apologise, therefore, if this post is a little sloppier than some of my other ones. I will do a proper blog post soon, promise! Maybe after Mum and Dad have gone on Thursday...

No comments:

Post a Comment