Sunday 18 December 2011

Preparing to leave

Note: I would have posted this before I left, but I was busy packing and such. Look out for one more post as well in about half a week!


Finding myself with a bag half-packed, and some angry mediocre metal playing, it's becoming increasingly apparent that the end of my time here at KISC is coming to an end. Since the last few days have been rather nice, I thought I might take the time to relate them to you.


Firstly, Jon Mozley came out to visit me for the past three days. And secondly, just as he arrived, it started snowing in a big way. The snow has been touch-and-go for a while (I even blogged about it in the Think Pink Blog, which I have been regularly posting in- give it a read!) but on the day Jon arrived we had a good 10cm. The day after we had a föhn wind, which is a warm wind that turns your wonderful snow into rain. However even that wasn't so bad, since we headed over to Adelboden to see how Kat is settling into Our Chalet. She's doing fine, and even has her own blog where you can read all about what she's up to over there. We were at the Chalet for their annual 'invite the neighbours round for a sing-song' evening, which was very fun, partially because people thought that Jon and myself were part of the staff team and so kept shaking our hands on the way in and out! The day after that, I was working, but managed to get enough time in lunchbreak to go sledding with Jon and Kat and Anna, a girl from Our Chalet who had come over with Kat to see KISC.


Unfortunately, my camera doesn't work well in the snow; touchscreens are confused by water, it would seem. It was a shame too, since it was one of the most beautiful afternoons I have spent here. Snow covering everything in sight, transforming the landscape that I was used to into a smooth and undulating paradise of powdery dust. Just the four of us, sledding and throwing snowballs, the sound of our laughter and screams muted by the still-falling snow, drifting down to try and cover the tracks we had made. I always  think of Winter as the end of the year (as I suppose most of the Northern Hemisphere does) and so the idea of sledding through the snow at the end of my KISC experience has a certain poetic feeling to it. It was almost like the final shot of a film, panning out to lose the four small shapes in the white of the snow, the soft light of the sunshine diffracting through the snowclouds and blurring the sky and the ground together into a seamless continuum of grey-white. I had never felt sadder to be leaving, and the day between then and now has been tinged with an aura of melancholy. However, it feels far from a cliché. I have had a life-changing experience here, and made friends who I will do my best to keep from slipping away from as the years and the distances grow between us.


Of course, it's not all that bad. I am looking forward to being at home again, not least because we have a bath at home that I can relax in, and a dog who I hope will recognise me! I also, interestingly enough, have a job interview on the 21st for the role of part-time segway driver! As exciting as that is, I am also going to start looking for a 'real' job (meaning that it has a salary instead of an hourly rate; that's as much as I can work out regarding the difference between a real job and a pretend one) I have also just found a link to a job as a receptionist, and an Editorial Coordinator. So I have ten minutes to negotiate the confusing application process, and then it is back to catering for my last day of work with good cheer and Christmas songs playing!

No comments:

Post a Comment