Friday 9 December 2011

A week of changes

It feels as if it has been forever since I last posted on here, though in reality it's barely been over a week! With that in mind I am not starting this post with an apology for it's lateness as was previously planned, though it was such a good apology that I might delay the next post so that I can get it in.


Anyway, as the title suggests, it's been a bit of a week of upheaval. Kat came out to visit, which was cracking, and then we had Staff Day Out, organised in secret for all the staff of the Autumn season. We went to see some Roman Ruins, which were pretty inspiring, then we went to do Go-Karting, which I have decided is officially one of my favourite things to do ever! We then rounded off with a trip to the Swiss version of Cadbury World, which even managed to have a weird bit about Aztecs in it just like Cadbury World; the only difference was that the voice-over man was a HUGE fan of chocolate, so much so that it was a little worrying! Then, after that, we had a half day of work and then an afternoon of deep-cleaning the staff-room in preparation for the new Winter season Shorties, which was exhausting and not helped by the hangover I was working through from the Staff Day Out Party the day before!


That was yesterday. Today, I am writing this from one of the bunks in the Africa Room on the first floor of the Old Chalet. Three of the Autumn Shorties have left this morning: Johan, who you will all of course recall is from Sweden, Laura from Australia and Rikke from Denmark. Of the five remaining, one of us is moving tonight into her flat as a Long Term Staff Member (Caoimhe, from Ireland) and the remaining four of us are in the Africa Room as Helpers. We get to wear the exclusive colour of Green (in a work place where everyone is in pink, it's quite special, trust me!) and basically cook and clean while the Long Term Staff get all the new shorties through training. Speaking of them, one has already arrived and the others are all due in before 5 tomorrow, when training begins.


These changes, while not exactly upsetting, have just left me feeling a bit unsettled, like a pile of leaves kicked up by the wind that hasn't had time to drift back down to earth yet. I'm lying in my bunk, my stuff half-packed underneath me, wishing that I was either at home or back in the Staff Room dreading having to get up early for catering tomorrow. This room feels like a waiting room, a limbo between being staff and being a civilian again. The bunk bed feels cramped, and there aren't enough places to put my things. I can't pack because it's still another ten days before I leave, but I can't get everything out otherwise everyone will have to walk over my socks to get to bed. Meanwhile, Kat is over at Our Chalet, making snowflakes and having much more snow that we have at KISC and generally having a grand time, which has the unintentional side-effect of making my bunk bed all the more cramped and lonely.


There's nothing to be done about it; I'll get used to things when training gets under way tomorrow, and my scheme of pretending to have a Welsh accent around the new Shorties will hopefully work and confuse them all mightily! But right now I am in a bit of a slump. Only Men Aloud, the welsh male choir who won a telly show a while ago, is drifting over the speakers, and I have a stash of chocolate at the foot of the bed, so to top it all I also feel like I'm about to hit the menopause or something. I guess it's always tough waking up after the dream ends!

No comments:

Post a Comment